Alberta (Alicia) Hughes-Jones, died on August 17, 2012, at the Via Christi Center in Wichita, Kansas.
She was born on January 27, 1941 in Walnut, Mississippi to Lenora A. (Jones) and Charles R. Jones.
On August 20, 1977, she married David T. Hughes in Norman, OK.
Alicia held a PhD in Human Ecology and Environmental Health from the University of Oklahoma; Master’s Degree in Cultural Anthropology, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville; and the Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Arkansas-Little Rock a with major in Social Sciences.
Most recently, Alicia was employed as a partner, Historical Archeologist and Ethnohistorian in Hughes Archeology, Inc. and also with Wichita State University as a Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology. In her past, she was a professor at Tabor College in the Sociology and Anthropology Department; Wichita State University, Dept. of Anthropology; Courson Archeological Project (lab director); Oklahoma City University, Transcultural Family Counseling Center; Inter-Tribal Associates; Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation and Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Primate Research Unit.
Thru her extensive studies she earned membership in the undergraduate scholarship honorary societies Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Alpha Theta.
Alicia also has had nine publications about historic preservation and two book reviews on cultural diversity and many paper publications. She was active on many committees and a list of extensive community service hours. She held a current membership with the Texas Archaeological Society.
Preceding her in death were her parents.
Survivors include, her husband David of the home and a daughter Amanda Hughes.
Visitation will be held on Sunday, August, 19, from 1:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. with the family greeting from 6:00-7:00 P.M.
A Memorial Service will be held on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 2:00 P.M. at the St. Joseph of Glastonbury Church, 1309 W. Lydia, Wichita, Kansas.
There will be no burial at this time, cremation has taken place.
In lieu of flowers, Memorials may be made to the Texas Archeological Society Donors Fund c/o Texas Archeological Society, Center for Archaeological Research, The University of Texas at San Antonio, One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, TX 78249-0658